Pages

Friday, April 9, 2010

One Week Vacation. Zero Work Done.

This past week I have been on vacation. I had plenty of time to work on the Bricklin, and made arrangements with Sean (my buddy who is helping with this restoration) to take a few days and make some real progress.

Instead, I've been playing BioShock the last few days.

It's a story. At the beginning of the week, Sean was sick. Then, I caught the same damn illness. The sore throat and vicious cough weren't debilitating, but were severe enough that I had absolutely no work ethic for the project. I'm finally beginning to feel better, and I really want to keep this project moving. I don't want this to become one of those blogs aborted halfway through, or worse yet have this project take years to finish.

Where it stands now:

- I did make some rough sketches of what the interior will end up looking like. Last week, we brainstormed and came up with a general direction for the interior. The plan is to modernize the Bricklin's interior while remaining true to the original design aesthetic. In effect, making it look as though it was designed for the car yesterday. It's certainly ambitious, but I have been assured it A) completely doable and B) fairly simple (at least compared to some things we could be doing).

- I'm not entirely sure of the interior color scheme. I'm thinking black and a charcoal grey two-tone arrangement. I'm also putting some real thought into adding white into the mix, to match the exterior color.

- Carpet has been ordered.

- Mechanically, I'm in a good position. To get the thing running again, all I really need to do is hook up a new carburetor (EDIT: And one faulty vacuum connection). I'm weighing the pros and cons between a 4 barrel and a 2 barrel. The hood doesn't leave much room for clearance; I've heard I'll need to buy a drop base air cleaner to fit in the former.

Seriously, the car will be absolutely sick when it's finished. The only question is, when will it be done? My original August "deadline" is only five months away, and I am having some serious doubts that it will be ready to drive in time. I'll work on scanning my hand drawn design, until then, your imagination will have to suffice.

No comments:

Post a Comment