Pages

Friday, March 19, 2010

Operation: Teardown

The Bricklin is now in pieces, and receiving its refurbishing on Overhaulin: Garage Edition.


Yesterday, we tore out the side interior hatch panels, back panel, headliner, center console, seats (conveniently sharing rails with a Jeep CJ-5), and various assorted teardown. The interior is now but a shell, with only the dash and steering wheel remaining in place.

In February I told of how, on the return trip from California, the Bricklin leaked water. Though I did my best to dry the affected interior, once the seats and carpet was removed, I uncovered a small puddle remaining. Good thing the floor is fiberglass!

Now begins the arduous task of removing the residue left from the carpet adhesive, and scraping the floor down to bare fiberglass. The hatch area was mostly done last night, but the rest of the car remains.  Once that is done, we can install new carpet.

After the day is done, the interior is bare and the car is undriveable. This is the toughest part of the restoration, in my opinion. It is so far from being completed, and I know I have only myself to blame for tearing it apart. It is disheartening, but the negative now should lead to positive dividends in the future, when the car is nearing completion.

No comments:

Post a Comment