Pages

Monday, April 19, 2010

With the teardown complete, the buildup BEGINS!

With little exception, the Bricklin floor pan is now completely devoid of any last remnants of old carpet. My new carpet arrived a few days ago, it was picked up along with two big sheets of wood that will serve as the base and frame of the rear console.
I painstakingly removed the vinyl upholstery from the interior rear quarter panels and console. The left side turned out to be broken by the rear window, but it's repairable. We're also busy mocking up little subwoofer boxes and other interior trim before we begin actual fiberglass work.

We made a trip to CarNutz (next to Park Place Ltd. in Bellevue, WA) to pick out interior fabric. We're going with a black and grey color scheme, black vinyl with grey suede. We'll order two types of suede but both the same color - one that has a weave pattern and the other with no pattern to give the interior some diversity.

In other news, the carburetor was farmed out to Carb Connection in Kirkland. It was literally dropped off one day and picked up the next. It should be as good as a new unit. Though I played with the idea of upgrading to a four barrel carb and intake, I decided just to stay with the two barrel set up, as I won't have the fret with hood clearance

The smog pump has been removed, since emissions will no longer be tested (collector plates FTW!). This should free up some power from the motor.

I've picked out a suitable shift from Lokar Performance and will order it shortly. I've also sent out an e-mail to Terry Tanner (a god amongst Bricklin owners) about ordering some replacement body panels, but have yet to hear back. I guess that's what happens when you e-mail a business on Sunday and expect an answer back Monday morning; I'm sure he'll get back to me.

To have the needed extra space in the garage, the Allante has unfortunately been moved to the driveway, underneath a car cover. I'm beginning the think it's jealous; I wanted to drive it to pick up the carburetor, but it wouldn't crank! After some time, it did eventually start. My semi-professional diagnosis is the car is green with envy.

No comments:

Post a Comment