Pages

Sunday, November 28, 2010

New Tools and Some More Progress...

As Black Friday is upon us, I headed to Lowe's to pick up some nuts and bolts.  I have taken off the vacuum operated headlight mechanism - they are to be replaced with small air cylinders which do the same job.  Might as well upgrade everything to air if I'm going this route.

After picking up some bolts, I eyed a 170+ Kohler tool kit for $100.  However, I decided to hop by the Home Depot to see if they had anything better, figuring I could just hop by again and pick up this unit if necessary.  Home Depot had a Husky brand 252-piece socket and wrench set on sale for only $70.  Sold!

I really only need the sockets - I have a very bad habit of not putting everything back where it belongs at the end of the night.  I'll be sure to be extra diligent with this one, so I won't be in a pinch when I need a certain socket.

The kit also comes with a ridiculous amount of Alan wrenches and a few regular wrenches.  Not as necessary, but still nice to have.  A little bit in the future I'd like to pick up some ratcheting wrenches, but for now this is more than enough tools to (hopefully) get me through the project.

On another note, the Bricklin is coming along nicely.  I coated the birdcage with some POR-15 and wired up just about all of the pneumatic stuff (compressor, air lines, valves, and mose of the cylinders) and it's just about ready to plug and play.  I've been holding off on buying the replacement body panels because of a possible money issue, but it looks like it's been resolved so I'll hopefully be purchasing those this week.

On another note, Terry Tanner's air headlight system features single-acting air cylinders which spring-retract.  Though I have some three-way valves which could handle the headlights, I'd really like to buy some double acting cylinders so that all the air parts could operate from the same valve block.  Howvers, I'd have to modify the mounting brackets and purchase some new cylinders (probably not expensive, but time consuming!).  What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment